Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Now It Starts

A while ago I was accepted to an occupational therapy school in the south. I am so excited and nervous at the same time. A few days ago the program sent out a list of who is in the program this year. Of course of being of the internet era a facebook group has been created by one of the students. It has been interesting to see who is in the program. There are quite a few from my rival undergraduate college. I think we will make it work though. I go to a large university now, and while I am not moving to a small school, I am moving into a very small, close program. There will be nowhere to run. Everybody seems kind and they seem to have experience in the field. It is a little intimidating.

I am more excited about the program though. I have wanted to be an occupational therapist since high school. I went to an outstanding high school, which had an internship program. My first internship was with an oncologist. I hated it mostly because the would only let me do paperwork and not actually meet any of the patients. I knew all their information, but I did not know them. The next semester they did not have what I wanted, so they were like why don't you try this outpatient facility with occupational therapists, physical therapists, and speech therapists. I was involved with therapists from all three fields, but I fell in love with occupational therapy. I thank the stars that I was put in that internship. I wish I could go back and tell those occupational therapists how they affected me.

Throughout college I started exploring the career more, but not really until my junior and senior year. The experiences I got were very valuable, not only for getting into the master's program, but for growing me as a person to. I will try to highlight some of those experiences throughout the month. The next few months are going to be filled with anticipation and anxiety, but I am going to try and blog about it all because the student blogs I have been scouring for hours have really had an impact on me. I only hope my blog will have some impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment