Sunday, October 9, 2011

Review of Classes


It is hard to believe  I have been in OT school for almost two months. I have learned a lot in these two months and met some great people. I remember a few months ago wondering what my classes would be about. Well now I think I can give you a good picture.

Models of Reasoning
We started off learning AOTA's Practice Framework. We discussed the process OTs use to help clients and what they should consider. Lately, we have been discussing different assessments we can use to evaluate clients and how to interrupt the results. This class started off very abstract, but not it seems very applicable. Our fieldwork is also integrated with this course.   

Evidence Based Practice
This is the class that the majority of the class is struggling with. It is our research course. I enjoy the material, but our teachers don’t have the best execution in teaching the course. This semester we are focusing on how to locate information and evaluate it.

Wellness and Illness
This class is hard because it is our only class on Friday and it is three hours long. The information is very practical though. We first focused on what healthy is because to define dysfunction you have to know what functioning is. We talk about specific diseases and what interventions are used to treat them.

Foundations
I thought this class would be application based, but it is more theoretical. We talked about AOTA's practice framework for a while in this class. Lately, we have been discussing the different theories and frames of reference one can use. We have also done presentations on OT internationally and some of the different specific fields.

Lifespan
This class is about occupations throughout the lifespan. We perform evaluations on different lifespan groups. I like this class because we have mini-fieldwork. We currently at the child stage. It is much like my college lifespan course with OT evaluations sprinkled in. The rest of my classes have been very different than undergrad.

No comments:

Post a Comment